Aims and objectives of TÚS?
Tús is an activation initiative for those who are unemployed and aims to provide short term quality working opportunities for people who are unemployed while at the same time carrying out beneficial work within the community.
Who can participate on Tús?
Participants will, in the first instance, be identified by the Department of Social Protection by satisfying certain conditions: A person who has been on the Live Register for at least 12 months and 'signing' on a full-time basis and in receipt of a jobseekers payment from the Department of Social Protection for at least 12 months or in receipt of Jobseeker's allowance.
What is the selection process for the Initiative?
The Department of Social Protection will identify and contact persons on the Live Register who satisfy the criteria and offer them the opportunity to be considered for placement as opportunities arise. The Local Development Company (Galway Rural Development) will maintain a panel from which persons will be recruited and as the placement opportunities arise those on the panel will be matched with the work and recruited.
What type of work will be undertaken?
All the work undertaken while participating on Tús will be beneficial to the local community and the types of projects carried out are likely to include:
- Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings
- Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
- Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and sporting spaces
- Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
- Community administration and community event management
- Coaching of sporting activities
- Repair of equipment for developing countries - Farm Tools, Bicycles, Computers, Sewing Machines, Health Equipment etc
How long will the placement last?
Participation will be for a continuous period of one year (52 weeks).
Any further information
For those seeking further information on Tús, please contact Sean Broderick, Coordinator at Galway Rural Development on 091 844335.