Ahascragh is a small village located in East Galway. It gets its name from the Irish Ath H'oiseir (Ford of Oscar) which in turn gets its name from the Ford of the Sandy Ridges which forms part of the Esker Riada which runs across Ireland. Ahascragh is that town in the "Wesht of Ireland" that plays home of the famous hoax caller called Monica Looley of Don't Feed the Gondolas fame.
An ancient site of a church which during the Penal Times ceased to be used. The graveyard is still in use today.At the front of the graveyard is the Grotto which is maintained by the local branch of the Irish Countrywomen’s Association.
The Avenue was originally the entrance to Castlegar House and nowadays is used extensively as an area for nature walks and as general amenity area.
The Church of Ireland established itself in the area at the end of the 17th century which incidentally coincided with the arrival of the local landlords. The present church was built in 1813 and although damaged by fire in 1922 was repaired and re-opened in 1926. This church is also surrounded by a graveyard.
The G.A.A.(Gaelic Athletic Association) pitch was opened in 1939. The local club promotes our national games among the youth of the area and fields teams at all underage levels together with senior teams. The grounds have been extensively renovated over the years and the club now boasts one of the finest facilities in the county.
The Mill Stream.
Built specifically to power the water wheel to ground the corn at the Mill in the centre of the village. Approx. 1km long it is diverted from the Bunowen at the Sluice gates upstream and rejoins the main river as it leaves the village area.
St. Cuan’s Church.
Reconstructed during the eucharistic congress year of 1932 and Holy year of 1933 by the people of the parish. Canon Malachy Brennan was parish priest at the tine and later died in 1967 and is buried on the grounds in front of the church. The church was designed by W.H.Byrne & Sons of Dublin and incorporates a Harry Clarke window.
Located at the rear of the Parish Hall, the soccer club was founded in 1976
and fields teams at all underage levels as well as senior level and has enjoyed great success since the club’s foundation.The club hosts a major 7-a side tournament each year over the June Bank Holiday weekend which attracts teams from all over the country and sometimes from Britain.
The Hall, used extensively by local clubs and organisations for meetings,functions classes etc., was built in 1931 by Cannon Malachy Brennan, parish priest at that time, to accommodate the people for Mass while the church was being renovated. Adjacent to the Hall is the Handball Alley which is a traditional sport in the area.
Ahascragh National School.
Located in the village it dates back to the 1860’s when a man called O’Dea taught in the village. The present building was built in 1934.
Owned by the Western Health Board and has clinic’s most days of the week attended by local General Practioners.
Opened in the early 1960’s it is a sub station of Mountbellew Garda area. Opening times are on display in the front window and a direct 2 way radio operates when the station is unmaned.
The new graveyard was blessed in 1954 and the first person was buried there in 1955.
Ahascragh Mills opened in the 1810’s. Originally owned by a family named Bell, later owned by the Hunt family, Elliott’s and lastly by the Mahon family of Castlegar. It ceased milling in the1950’s. The impressive natural stonework of the Mill is the most striking feature in the heart of the village.
Welcome to the Galway Rural Development website. Galway Rural Development, through the programmes we administer, will continue to work along with other agencies, groups and individuals around the county to improve the quality of life for all citizens in our area. We especially wish to work with those who are most in need of assistance, to provide real opportunities for people to gain significant improvements for themselves and their communities throughout rural Galway.